1897 to 1920: Captain John A. Cates and Terminal Farm
In 1897 Captain Cates in his little ship The Swan, brought the first picnickers from the mainland to Snug Cove. By 1917 900 acres of land is and around Snug Cove became a thriving Resort.
Captain Cates created a 40 acre farm near his hotel. Barns – stables – dairy – greenhouses – silos. An exceptional purebred herd of Holsteins, thoroughbred horses, cows, sheep, goats and ducks. 300 fruit trees were also planted.
A dam was build near Bridal Falls for a hydro-electric generator and 500 feet of water pipes were installed throughout the estate. Small cottages and a picnic area continued to be built.
A 177 ft paddle steamer R. P. Rithet, the Baramba, the Bowena and the Ballena were added to Cates fleet to meet the ever increasing demand.